Saturday, April 28, 2007

Ch. 8 Options and Choice for Conflict Resolution in the Workplace

Solving conflicts in the workplace can either strenghten employees friendship or weaken it. It all depends on each individual's personality, level of maturity, and their communication style.

For example, during my first year as a teacher's assistant, I was shocked when I saw one of the special ed teacher's slap a students hand because she was trying to grab her coffee. Although it was against the school's policy to drink hot beverages in the classroom, these teachers often brought coffee into the classroom while the student's were present. Since we were informed about employee's responsibility to report any kind of safety issues, I brought it to my Principal's attention so she could be aware of the situation.

She brought it to the teacher's attention, and the teacher and her aides were not very happy with me. They would joke about it by saying something like "Oh, be careful with that, someone might tell the principal you are drinking coffee in the classroom." I guess the principal must have focused on not bringing hot beverages in the classroom rather than focusing on the child's safety and well being. I mentioned it to her because I was concerned about the child's safety.

I really did not care about whether I was liked or dislike by staff members. I was there to work with the children, and making sure that they are safe in and out of the classroom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes we need to step in and say the unpopular point that needs to be made. One thing that I have learned is that people typically take what you have to say a lot better if you approach them before going to their supervisor. Your co-workers might have cooperated a little better if you had just said to them, "having coffee in the room really worries me with these kids. I would hate for something to happen." You may have been able to compromise by putting everyone's coffee up on a high shelf or perhaps rotated coffee breaks. I had a similar situtation about not agreeing with a financial report that was being turned in and in retrospect, I wish I had approached her and let her know I planned to take it to our supervisor if we could not resolve it. Good for you for having the courage to speak up even if no one wanted to hear it. After all, the kids' safety should come first.

Debra Davenport said...

Really excellent blog, Elva!

Nicely done!

Dr. D.