Friday, April 20, 2007

2nd Phone Conversation

From my point of view, the phone conversation with Vickie went very well. She was friendly, attentive and has good listening skills. She repeated the whole scenario back to me before giving advise as HR Manager.

Scenario: I am a paralegal at a law firm and my boss (lawyer) is verbally abusive. I usually ignore his remarks, until I finally had enough and gave him a piece of my mind. He called me a b**** and all kinds of names in the book. He told me to leave, and I grabbed my things and told him I was not leaving without my final check. The receptionist called the police because she was worried things were going to be out of control. The officers asked him a few questions, and my boss accused me of throwing things around during our argument. The officers looked around and said,"Everything seems to be in place sir, did someone just cleaned up?" He had nothing to say and the officers left without writing a report. I am unemployed and cannot collect unemployment because he told the unemployment office that I quit my job. What can I do in regards to this matter?

HR: It sounds like your going to need a lawyer to represent you. Your boss should not have treated you that way because it is ethically and morally wrong. You need to document the incident and find witnesses. You should also file a report with the Better Business Bureau so this does not happen again. We are going to investigate the problem and will make an attempt to take care of this matter.

Vickie and I discussed some possible solutions to this matter. I told her I could not pay for an attorney since I do not have an incoming income. She said that there is a possibility that the company may pay for the attorney fee, and that I would pay some of the incurring fees if I lose the case. I agreed to that suggestion since I have a pretty strong case.

We discussed about prosecuting attorneys having power to make innocent people lose their cases because the defending attorney is inexperienced or lacks resources.

After our assignment, we had a chance to learn more about each other. Vickie currently has 21 students. Their ages vary from infant to preschool. She hopes to teach Kindergarten when she gets her degree. We exchanged some stories that happen in our classrooms. Vickie politely ended our conversation when my husband got home.

No comments: