Saturday, May 5, 2007

Giving a Talk Article

I really enjoyed reading the article, and wish I had a copy prior to attending my last meeting.

As a teacher, I am mandated to attend a certain number of Professional Development meetings per year. Rather than choosing one particular topic per year and learn it well so we can apply it in the classroom, our division hires "professionals" to teach us new skills. It is almost pointless and a waste of our time since these people try to cover everything in one day, and we end up leaving with very little knowledge.

For example, last months topic was great because it was about supporting Preschool English Language Learners in the classroom. The presenters used PowerPoint, gave us handouts as well as a copy of the book. They rushed us through the entire presentation, covered all eight chapters in the book, and hardly gave us time to breathe or ask questions at all. They said that it is a semester class and were beaming as they reached the last chapter.

I am sure they had good intentions, however we could have learn more by focusing on less chapters, and be allowed to ask questions and give examples.

I am planning to send a copy of this article to the director and speak on behalf of my colleagues. They all agreed it was rushed but no one wants to take their time to change our situations.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I sent in our final project. I really hope that everyone is happy with the finished product. I appreciated you reading and providing feedback on the last few drafts. It's nerve racking making decisions for the whole group and hoping you are doing what everyone wants so it was great to hear from at least one member to know I was going in the right direction. Good luck in your future classes!