Saturday, May 5, 2007

Demanding Babysitters

I am glad I took this class, otherwise I wouldn't have known how to deal with a demanding babysitter this week. I was very calm, and although she was very intimidating, it did not affect my ability to reason with her at all.

Since we were unable to open a second class this month, one of the babysitter's was very upset and demanded I make room for one of the children under her care. I apologized for any inconvenience this may have caused her, and calmy explained to her that our classroom is licenced for 24 students and we are at full capacity. I also explained to her that there were 20 other families in the same situation.

She said she knew all about licensing, yet insisted I make accomodations for this particular child. I tried to reason with her, but it was useless. She was angry, accused me of discriminating against the child and her family, and stormed off. I mentioned the incident to the principal so she is aware of it and isn't caught off guard when being approached. The next day, this same person walked in the main office, and demanded my supervisor's number because she said we were discriminating against her.

My lesson for the week: When dealing with demanding people, do your best to clarify any misunderstandings. If it doesn't work, give them your supervisor's number and let them deal with it. Always communicate with your supervisor so they are aware of the incident.

No comments: